Two Northwest Iowa men have been sentenced to federal prison in separate cases on child pornography charges.
Federal prosecutors say 28 year old Justin Funck of Spencer will serve 5 years and 5 months for one count of receiving child pornography.
Funck admitted that, between April 2009 and May 2009, he downloaded child pornography using the Internet.
In a separate case, 59 year old Charles Melchert of Humboldt received a five year sentence for one count of receiving child pornography.
Melchert admitted that, between October 2008 and July 2010, he downloaded child pornography using the Internet.
The cases were brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse.
THE SIOUX CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT WILL PROCEED WITH PLANS TO DEVELOP A NEW CAMPUS AT THE FORMER HOOVER MIDDLE SCHOOL SITE OFF 36TH AND HAMILTON BOULEVARD.
THE SCHOOL BOARD VOTED 5-1 TO DEVELOP A PLAN TO BUILD A NEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL ON THE SITE WHICH COULD INCLUDE STUDENTS FROM FOUR EXISTING FACILITIES.
BOARD PRESIDENT DOUG BATCHELLER SAYS IT'S TIME TO MOVE FORWARD WITH A PLAN:
THAT PLAN LEAVES THE AGING BRYANT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL UNCHANGED FOR THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE, A DECISION THAT BOARD MEMBER MOLLY WILLIAMS DISAGREED WITH:
NO ONE FROM THE PUBLIC SPOKE OUT EITHER FOR OR AGAINST THE HOOVER PLAN.WILLIAMS CAST THE LONE VOTE AGAINST THE DECISION.
THE SIOUX CITY SCHOOL BOARD IS MOVING FORWARD TO DEVELOP A PLAN TO REPLACE WASHINGTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL IN MORNINGSIDE.
BOARD MEMBERS DISCUSSED OPTIONS TO EITHER REBUILD OR REMODEL THE SCHOOL THAT OPENED IN 1921.
BOARD PRESIDENT DOUG BATCHELLER AND A MAJORITY OF MEMBERS VOTED 5-1 TO PROCEED WITH PLANS TO BUILD A NEW SCHOOL ON THE CURRENT WASHINGTON SITE.
SIX HOUSES WOULD NEED TO BE PURCHASED BY THE SCHOOL DISTRICT TO PROCEED WITH THE PLAN FOR A SCHOOL TO HOUSE AROUND 550 STUDENTS.
THE BOARD AUTHORIZED THE DISTRICT TO BEGIN NEGOTIATING WITH THOSE PROPERTY OWNERS.
THE FUTURE OF THE ARGOSY RIVERBOAT CASINO AND WHO WILL OVERSEE IT IS IN THE HANDS OF THE IOWA RACING AND GAMING COMMISSION.
THAT'S THE ASSESSMENT OF THE MISSOURI RIVER HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT BOARD WHICH MET IN CLOSED SESSION MONDAY NIGHT.
PENN NATIONAL GAMING, WHICH OWNS THE ARGOSY RIVERBOAT CASINO, ANNOUNCED LAST FRIDAY THAT IT WOULD ACCEPT MRHD'S PROPOSAL TO EXTEND THE CURRENT OPERATING CONTRACT OF THE CASINO UNTIL MARCH OF 2015.
BUT THAT WAS ONE DAY AFTER THE IOWA RACING AND GAMING ASSOCIATION VOTED TO LET NEW NON-PROFIT GROUPS AND CASINO COMPANIES APPLY TO BUILD A NEW LAND BASED CASINO IN WOODBURY COUNTY.
CHAIRMAN MARK MONSON SAYS MRHD COULD NOT ACT ON PENN GAMING'S MOVE BECAUSE OF THURSDAY'S GAMING COMMISSION'S DECISION:
THE CURRENT CONTRACT EXPIRES JULY 7TH. THE GAMING COMMISSION SAID LAST WEEK THAT THE BOAT WOULD NOT BE SHUT DOWN.
MONSON SAYS MRHD REMAINS CONCERNED THAT THE 325 EMPLOYEES ON THE RIVERBOAT CASINO CONTINUE TO HAVE JOBS:
THE GAMING COMMISSION WILL NEXT MEET ON JULY 12TH. PREVIOUS TALKS WITH MRHD AND PENN GAMING WERE DEADLOCKED OVER A NEW LONG TERM DEAL TO BUILD A 100-MILLION DOLLAR NEW CASINO.
Page 373 of 641